So, this morning I was installing the latest Snort from RPM at home, and ran into an issue that kept me busy for a little while. Basically what had happened was that snort was not logging to the mysql database. I had defined my output properly in /etc/snort/snort.conf, and even verified that snort could log in, but it wasn’t even attempting to write to it. I immediately found that it was writing text files in /var/log/snort, but it took me a bit to realize that ALERTMODE was set to ‘fast’ in /etc/sysconfig/snort. This bypasses any database config you might have. A pretty embarrassing mistake, but since I found a lot of people on forums out there with the same problem and nobody posting solutions, I figured I’d better share.